Journey map the American Express Web provisioning journey to foster a shared vision of what a best in class Card member experience can be.
What is Web Provisioning?
Web provisioning is a new Card member feature that will allow CM’s, who are replacing their card for any reason, to generate a token (a.k.a. a dynamic PAN15) that can be used for online purchasing or added to a CM’s mobile wallet. The goal is to use tokenization to reduce length of spend interruption and save cost on rush shipping. The Web provisioning feature would prevent spend interruption until new card arrives. Web provisioning requires partnership for tokenization from mobile wallets like Android Pay, Apple Pay, and Samsung Pay.
What outcome are we trying to drive?
Spend: Prevent spend interruption until new card arrives.
Cost saves: due to rush shipping fewer replacement cards, as token provisioning decreases the time that a CM is without ability to spend on the network.
Customer journey mapping session was divided into two 1 hour sessions held on Wednesday 9.27.17 and Thursday 10.5.17.
- Introduction (15 min) - Introduce participants, review agenda, discuss outcome of mapping session, explain journey maps, present the Mobile provisioning problem statement.
- Brainstorm Use Cases (10 min) - Team to use stickies to brainstorm use cases/triggers/life events that would require the need for web provisioning. Use cases will serve as entry points into our journey map (e.g. I lost my card while traveling or I damaged my card and do not want to have a disruption in service). Individuals to place stickies on a wall for review.
- Affinity Mapping (10 mins) - Individuals read out thier use cases that are then grouped into common themes.
- Individual Journey Map Sketching (15 min) - Individual stakeholders sketch out a journey map describing the web provisioning happy path based on their use cases.
- Individuals Present Journey Map (15 mins) - Individual stakeholders present their journey map to team. Team votes for one theme to map out.
- White board journey map (35 mins) - Map out the end to end journey of selected theme to identify channel(s) (e.g. email, ocr), define touchpoints, talk through customer highs and lows within the jounrey, and identify pain points and discover opportunities at each step within the journey map.
Gather a multidisciplinary team of experts
Subject matter experts from product, design, reseach, copy, and technical sub-industries.
What's a journey map?
A customer journey map is a visualization of the process that a person goes through in order to accomplish a goal. It’s used for understanding and addressing customer needs and pain points. In its most basic form, journey mapping starts by compiling a series of user goals and actions into a timeline skeleton. Next, the skeleton is fleshed out with user thoughts and emotions in in order to create a narrative. Finally, that narrative is condensed into a visualization used to communicate insights that will inform design processes.
Kaplan, Kate. “When and How to Create Customer Journey Maps.”, 21 Jan. 2009. Web. 31 Jul. 2016. Web Mapping the UX Design journey within the product lifecycle:
- Timeline - Start/Finish
- Opportunities and Painpoints
- Emotional Highs and Lows
Empathy map used to look through the customer lens:
People don’t want to buy a quarter-inch drill. They want a quarter-inch hole. - Harvard Professor Theodore Levitt
Brainstorm Web Provisioning Use Cases
Use stickies to brainstorm use cases/triggers/life events that would require the need for web provisioning.
Group use cases into common themes. Identify touchpoints.
Individual Journey Map Sketching
Stakeholders took time to sketch or write down a flow depicting a web provisioning happy path based on their use cases.
The ATM ate my Card what do I do?
I lost my Card and I need to buy "x" items today!
Can I pre-enroll before an emergency occurs?
Whiteboard the Journey Map with the Group
Map out the end to end journey of selected theme to identify channel(s) (e.g. email, ocr), define touchpoints, talk through customer highs and lows within the jounrey, and identify pain points and discover opportunities at each step within the journey map.
Share out the Journey Map
The journey is a living document that serves as an area of focus for design, tech, and strategy.